- Know what a vegetable is, how they can be grouped according to the plant part eaten, and why different types require different conditions for optimal growth.
- Understand the significance of site selection, soil preparation, and proper planting and plant management for a successful vegetable garden.
- Know what characteristics to consider when selecting varieties of specific vegetables.
- Understand the different ways of planting vegetables and why some are more suitable for certain types than others.
- Understand production and management techniques, including proper harvest and storing techniques, for common vegetables.
- Know what an herb is and how its cultural requirements differ from most vegetables.
- Practice determining answers to garden-related questions.
University of Wisconsin-Extension:
- Trouble Free Tomatoes (PDF), Milwaukee County UW-Extension
- Vegetable Publications, UW-Extension Learning Store
- [videos] Vegetable Gardening, University of Illinois-Extension
Educational articles from wimastergardener.org