Being a volunteer may require developing a new set of skill to properly relate to people. The following links are provided as support as you find yourself working in groups, with diverse audiences, and when dealing with stressful situations. When in doubt, contact your county UW-Extension educator or the Wisconsin Master Gardener program office for help or advice when dealing with questionable situations.
Wisconsin Master Gardener Program Volunteer Policies and Guidelines
- Volunteer Agreement (PDF) must be signed and submitted to the county UW-Extension office prior to acceptance to the program.
- Consent for Background Check (PDF) must be signed and submitted to the county UW-Extension office; applicant must pass criminal background check for acceptance into program.
- Liability / Risk is assumed by UW-Extension as long as volunteers are operating within the context of guidelines and on projects approved by the local UW-Extension educator.
- Dismissal of Volunteers will be conducted when volunteer fails to uphold the volunteer agreement, a change in criminal background status warrants dismissal, or other violations of guidelines and policies.
- Care to Share documentation form is available for volunteers to document and communicate concerns regarding their volunteer experience. This form should be completed, signed and submitted to the county UW-Extension educator or the Wisconsin Master Gardener program office (whichever is more appropriate).
From the Journal of Extension
The following journal articles may be of use in structuring and communicating volunteer opportunities to others.
- Tools for Generating Members, Volunteers, and Leaders in Extension
- Recruiting and Engaging Baby Boomers
- How to Target Extension Resources to Different Age Groups
- Benefits and Values of Master Gardener Program
From Washington State University Extension Master Gardener Program
More information on volunteer management is provided by WSU-Extension’s Master Gardener Program Coordinator Training.
- About Volunteers
- Managing Volunteers